This week's clue for Bonnie Hunter's En Provence mystery quilt was to make tri-recs units. I have admired quilts that incorporate these units for a long time, but this was my first time making them. I have to say, I like them a lot! I'm excited to see what they look like in the finished quilt.
Learning to make these was a little bit of an adventure. When I started, I accidentally grabbed my 60 degree triangle ruler instead of the tri tool. Fortunately, I only cut one strip into triangles before I discovered my mistake!
It's a good thing the triangle you get with the tri tool is smaller than a 60 degree triangle. I was able to lay the tri tool on top of each of the larger triangles and trim them down to size. All's well that ends well.
Once I had all of my pieces cut correctly, I pulled out some little squares to double check my seam allowance. I didn't want to start on these units until I was sure that my seam was in the right place. I tweaked my seam until the pair of squares came out at the expected size, then I started by sewing a single tri-recs unit. With my adjusted seam and Bonnie's tips in her blog post, it came out just right!
I really enjoyed making these units. It felt good to spend the weekend sewing. Once they were done, I played with some layouts. These units could make a fun quilt all on their own.
There are quite a few people working on this quilt around the world. To see some of their progress, check out Bonnie's Mystery Monday Link-Up.