Posts tagged #my blue heaven quilt

350 Blocks Project: October Report

Another month has come and gone. I can't believe it's almost Thanksgiving! I've started thinking about Christmas already. I'm hoping to get gifts handled early this year.

October was an especially fun month because I got to attend two quilt retreats. Considering that, I finished a remarkably small number of blocks, but I had a blast.

First up are two leader/ender blocks. I forgot to bring my leader/ender project with me to the first retreat, so Jen kindly shared hers. I had fun playing in her scraps to make these two wonky stars.

While at that retreat, I finished the units for My Blue Heaven, finished the remaining blocks, and assembled the top. I downsized the blocks, and they are adorable in miniature. It makes me want to make a whole quilt out of them, but I am calling this one done. That's 23 more blocks in the bag.

The last block I finished was a charity block at the annual guild retreat. Each person at the retreat is given the pieces to make one block. Everyone makes their block by Saturday night, and a couple people sew the top together before we leave on Sunday. This is the same style of block that we did at last year's retreat. It goes together quickly and easily, and it looks great when the blocks are put together. You can see last year's finished quilt here.

I just looked at last month's post to add up my total, and I realized I never counted the blocks of the t-shirt quilt I made! I will be posting the details of that quilt in the morning. It included 20 t-shirts. I am counting each of them as a block.

I did better than I thought last month. 2 wonky stars, 23 My Blue Heaven blocks, 1 charity block, and 20 t-shirt blocks gives me 46. That puts me at 266 blocks for the year. I only need 84 more blocks to hit the goal of 350. So far, I haven't made any this month, but there is still plenty of time.

350 Blocks Project: July Report

I'm happy to say that I completed some blocks last month! It's not quite enough to keep up with the goal for the month, but at least my total is climbing. I'm still crossing my fingers that I can reach 350 blocks after my slow start this year.

I made two My Blue Heaven quilt blocks. The free pattern for this quilt is available here. I'm making my blocks a little smaller by starting with 2" strips instead of 2.5" strips. I'm having fun working with the little pieces.

I also completed a Talkin' Turkey block. The pattern for Talkin' Turkey is available in String Fling by Bonnie Hunter. This block has a whopping 85 pieces in it! I will be putting some serious hours into finishing this quilt.

The final project I worked on was Star Struck, also a free pattern. I made 25 blocks and assembled them into a top. I stated with 2" strips instead of 2.5" strips, so this will make a good size wall hanging at 30" square.

I'm really excited to quilt this one. I'm thinking pebbles in the black stars. I'm not sure yet what I'll do in the colored stars.

All told, that's 28 blocks made in July. That puts me at 104 so far this year. I have a retreat coming up later this month, so hopefully that total will continue to grow.

My Blue Heaven

Last week, Bonnie Hunter came to Montana, and I was lucky enough to get to take some classes with her! I have been following Bonnie since before I became a quilter. Actually getting to take her classes was a dream come true. If you aren't familiar with Bonnie, you can check out her blog here.

The first thing we did was test our seam allowance. We sewed two squares together and measured the finished unit. The size of the unit tells you if your seam needs to be adjusted. I was pleasantly surprised when I nailed it on the first try!

From there, we were ready to start working on the quilt. She showed us how to use the Easy Angle ruler to make half square triangles. I had tried this method before, but it went much better this time. Nothing beats getting a unit to come out just right without any trimming.

The next thing we learned was to make hourglass units using the Companion Angle ruler. I've never made hourglass units before, so I can't compare this to any other method. I will say it was much less confusing than what I have seen in the past. It was no time at all before I had a pile of hourglasses ready to be sewn into blocks.

The final unit we had to learn was flying geese. Bonnie showed us how to make them using the Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers. Ideally, this lets you cut your pieces from normal size strips and not have to trim the geese down. It went fairly well. I think I need to cut less layers of fabric at a time if I want to get the full benefit of this method.

Once our units were made, Bonnie demonstrated webbing to keep the block pieces in order (tutorial here). I always use this method to assemble blocks into a top, but I haven't used it in individual blocks before. She also gave us pressing tips to make our blocks nest when we sew them together. I managed to make one of each type of block before class was finished.

At the end of the day, we laid out everyone's finished blocks on the floor. It's interesting to see all of the different color choices side by side. I'm excited for the finished quilts to start popping up at show and tell at guild.

I had so much fun in this class. It was extra special since Mom was there with me.  She also finished one of each block that day. My blocks are smaller because I decided to start with 2" strips instead of 2.5" strips. I like the smaller scale, and it's not too crazy since I'm only making a wall hanging.

Posted on July 26, 2016 and filed under Classes.