Posts tagged #rail fence quilt

Finished: Rail Fence Baby Quilt

This quilt is currently in the mail on its way to Cincinnati.  It's a rail fence quilt that I made for the older sister of a new baby girl.  It measures about 48 inches by 60 inches.  It's the perfect size for a toddler bed, and for a little one to drag around the house.

I love how bright and happy this quilt is.  I took it along on a hike, and my mom graciously photographed it for me.  The colors are wonderfully vibrant in the sun.

I free motion quilted this on my longarm with all over loops.  I also quilted Tallulah's name into it.  This was the first time I ever put text in the quilting.  I really like how it came out.  Finally, I quilted a heart right above her name.

I backed the quilt with minky monkeys.  The minky makes the quilt so soft and cuddly.  It does make a big mess when you cut it, but it wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected to quilt it on the longarm.  I kept the selvage on while I was quilting to help prevent stretching, and I was careful not to pull it taut on the rollers.

I tried something new for the binding on this one.  My machine didn't want to cooperate with a decorative stitch, so I free motion quilted tiny circles all the way around to secure the binding.  It was somewhat tedious, but I think it's a fun look for a kid's quilt.  It also spared me from having to hand stitch in the minky, which made it doubly worth the effort.

I'm getting anxious for this quilt to arrive.  It was estimated to get there yesterday, but it's still in Denver.  I'm hopeful that it will make it to her this week.  

350 Blocks Project: August Report

In August, I completed the final 33 gemstone blocks for a baby quilt for a friend.  They have since been assembled into a finished top.  The binding has been made, the backing is ready, and I finally decided how I'm going to quilt it.  Hopefully this will be a finished project soon.

Those are the only blocks I made last month, so my total for the year is now 743.  I spent the rest of August quilting and binding two other baby quilts.  One is for a baby due to arrive soon, and the other is for her toddler sister.  I think I may hold onto them until the baby arrives so both girls can have their names on the labels.

Posted on September 6, 2015 and filed under 350 Blocks Project.

Churning Out Baby Quilts

I have reached the stage in life where a lot of my friends are hopping on the baby train.  I've been working hard to keep up and make baby quilts for them.  At the moment, I need to complete quilts for four babies.

So far, I have finished two of the tops and quilted one.  These two quilts are for sisters.  The older sister was born before I started making baby quilts.  When I found out she had a little sister on the way, I decided that I should make quilts for both of them.  I made a rail fence quilt for the older sister.  This one has been quilted, but I still need to get fabric for the binding.

For the younger sister, I followed the 3 Dudes Quilt tutorial by Missouri Star Quilt Company.  The only difference is that I started with sets of five strips instead of four.  Every time I look at it, a different pattern jumps out at me.  It feels like looking into a kaleidoscope.

Yesterday, I started working on the next baby quilt.  I got all of my squares cut, and I have completed a few blocks.  I love the colors in this one, so I'm excited to see it come together.

Posted on July 26, 2015 and filed under Work in Progress.