Posts tagged #3 Dudes

350 Blocks Project: August Report

In August, I completed the final 33 gemstone blocks for a baby quilt for a friend.  They have since been assembled into a finished top.  The binding has been made, the backing is ready, and I finally decided how I'm going to quilt it.  Hopefully this will be a finished project soon.

Those are the only blocks I made last month, so my total for the year is now 743.  I spent the rest of August quilting and binding two other baby quilts.  One is for a baby due to arrive soon, and the other is for her toddler sister.  I think I may hold onto them until the baby arrives so both girls can have their names on the labels.

Posted on September 6, 2015 and filed under 350 Blocks Project.

350 Blocks Project: July Report

I finished quite a lot of blocks in July.  First, I made 64 of these for a baby quilt.  I followed the 3 Dudes Quilt tutorial by Missouri Star Quilt Company, but I used five strips in each set instead of four.

Next, I started working on some gemstone blocks for another baby quilt.  So far, I have completed 51 of these.  I'm calling them gemstones because they are slightly different from the traditional square-in-a-square.  When they are sewn together, all of the points will be chopped off of the inner squares.  It reminds me a little bit of the way gemstones are cut.

That puts me at 115 blocks for July, and 710 blocks so far this year.  I don't think I'm going to have any trouble surpassing my goal of 1000 blocks for the year.

Posted on August 2, 2015 and filed under 350 Blocks Project.

Churning Out Baby Quilts

I have reached the stage in life where a lot of my friends are hopping on the baby train.  I've been working hard to keep up and make baby quilts for them.  At the moment, I need to complete quilts for four babies.

So far, I have finished two of the tops and quilted one.  These two quilts are for sisters.  The older sister was born before I started making baby quilts.  When I found out she had a little sister on the way, I decided that I should make quilts for both of them.  I made a rail fence quilt for the older sister.  This one has been quilted, but I still need to get fabric for the binding.

For the younger sister, I followed the 3 Dudes Quilt tutorial by Missouri Star Quilt Company.  The only difference is that I started with sets of five strips instead of four.  Every time I look at it, a different pattern jumps out at me.  It feels like looking into a kaleidoscope.

Yesterday, I started working on the next baby quilt.  I got all of my squares cut, and I have completed a few blocks.  I love the colors in this one, so I'm excited to see it come together.

Posted on July 26, 2015 and filed under Work in Progress.